Thursday, March 12, 2009

What lies ahead...

Another day and some more won in my pocket, good news is that the won seems to be doing a trifle better than it was when I arrived so my money might not all be worthless in the exchange after all. This Wednesday was a good one as I finally have an idea of what I am supposed to be teaching these children.
A few things to keep in mind, (as I listen to "I'm From Barcelona" thanks Virginia ) teaching in Korea is constantly a balance between babysitting and actual teaching, I have learned that Korean kids are just as rambunctious as American ones with the small difference of them not understanding English. People here are much more handsy here and less understanding about personal space. So you can find yourself being swarmed by children and adults alike at any given moment. I witnessed my first fight today, as one of my charges started fighting another little boy, Koreans fight dirty, its mainly headbutts and kicking while your down. But I managed to separate the two troublemakers after a small while. Other than than that school is going pretty well, excepting a small breakdown of a coworker.

This was my first experience seeing a foreigner go through one of the dreaded "I hate Korea days" which seems to be afflict everyone at some point or another. It is hard to understand exactly what it could feel like, not having gone through it myself, but I imagine it to be a breaking point where seeing new and different things is just too much to bear. The person only then craves a return to normalcy and things that make sense at least from a familiarity standpoint. I hope that I don't experience one of these days but if I do I can at least retreat to my home and BOB it up, because no matter how crummy things might be, at least I am not fighting facism in 1940's Europe.

Enough of the sad talk! Only happy thoughts from here on out. Today was my first attempt using my washing machine which worked with mixed results. My clothing is clean! I think...at the very least it is wet, which is an integral part of the cleaning process. I must get ready for work now as I am running a tad bit behind, (can't seem to shake this sleepyness) Until next time friends, family, and foes.

In the next issue: The Chinese Yellow Dust arrives! Think pixie dust only toxic :-/

2 comments:

  1. i have built a treehouse!
    i have built a treehouse!
    nobody can see us, it's a you-and-me house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a BOB night just this past Saturday! Man, I hate Atlanta. At least the language barrier isn't as bad.

    ReplyDelete