Wednesday, March 18, 2009

One Cultural misunderstanding coming up...

So let me tell you about my lovely Monday. It started off like most days in the fact that I woke up ate breakfast and went to work. Taught some little Korean's words like robot and monster, it all seemed like I was going to pitch my first complete game, oh how wrong I was. Kindergarten classes were phenomenal with my normal cryers (Rachel and Tiffany were sobbing free) everything was coming up Milhouse. Then afternoon rolls around.

My afternoon classes were to be monitored by my boss to make sure that I am teaching the children correctly without any greivous mistakes or outbursts of anger. Things were going well, Jessica (who likes like the real jessica) had even done her homework and knew how to say umbrella and it's snowing! What should have tipped me off to the fact that trouble was a brewin' was that one of my students had hit another in the eye causing her to collapse into tears. So I enter my second class of the afternoon and no one has done their homework, except for one little girl who did her homework for the entire week. This is the exchange that took place:


Will (addressing the girl):You did two Journal entries? That's crazy, you only had to do one. But good job!

Girl: nothing


I went on teaching that class and then went to my final classes of the afternoon, I was yelled at by a student named Flora who refused to answer any of my questions and made my life rather difficult. So I decided to play a game with the class, hangman, where I cleverly informed the class that they were about to be punished. After class I keep troublemaker number one, Flora after class and I try and level with her. So I level with her and after class I talk to my co-teacher who is Korean to see if she can make sure she understands.

It is right about now that all things go to hell in a hand basket...first off my boss Michelle comes to me and asks me if I called a student crazy. The reason she asks is because the student Sera, has been crying nonstop for the past three hours and feels like she has been called mentally unstable. So the mother wants to pull her child from the program and is shocked that they have hired a person that is so insensitive and unable to deal with other humans. So yea I managed to alienate a child to the point that she wants to quit school not because I was displeased with her in the slightest but rather because I complimented her and was truly surprised at her extraordinary effort. So yea I have to say that cultural confusions are going to be a commonplace in my experience here. Oh yea so the other kick to the shins was the reason Flora was so difficult is because she cannot explain her feelings towards a new teacher while she is adjusting to her new adult body. So yea life is faaaaaaantastic here. Let's hope the week looks up soon.

Will out

No comments:

Post a Comment