Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Snow, Korean, Spine soup and being a weyguk.

So its a lovely spring night here in Daejeon, with the snow falling painting a picture I haven't known since Spring in New England. It must be a feeling of nostalgia that is overtaking me because I have decided to make a purchase that will not only bring about a refreshing change to my morning commute but will also rejuvenate my mind and soul. I am speaking of course of a bicycle! But before I post the lovely pictures of my childhood ambition I must let it arrive by mail. Other than my giddiness over this matter let me also explain that I had spine soup tonight. Spine soup for those of you that aren't aware is a red soup with chunks of cow spine. Yum! I need to keep a running diary of all the strange things that I eat while I am over here because I know that I won't get people to believe me when I return. On the menu whilst I am here is live octopus and who knows what else. Ok I am rambling and this post is not nearly as coherent as I thought it would be when I began, so I will try again tomorrow.

See ya Pastimers.

p.s. weyguk is foreigner.

4 comments:

  1. when i was there, my relatives ate an octopus that had been killed approximately 4 seconds before being brought to the table.. meaning it was still moving as the nerves sent out all their last impulses. are you going to eat it actually alive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice mastery of Korean!

    Spine soup sounds interesting - was there any nerve tissue in there? If so, brace for spongiform encephalopathy! Dark medical humor(ism) aside, how was it? Beefy and greasy, I imagine due to the marrow (and nerve?) content. Is it something you'd have again?

    The only proper way to do the nakji is to put it on YouTube and give a play-by-play account on this blog. Oh, and Wikipedia says not to eat it when you're trashed so you won't choke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the family that you alluded to in the other post? Inquiring minds want to know...

    ReplyDelete
  4. And yellow dust! Tell us about the yellow dust!

    ReplyDelete