Tuesday, March 17, 2009

In a town that doesn't close until 8 am...I meet the one Canadian that I don't like

So the week was over and the weekend had begun its full tilt with a kickoff dinner on Friday night at a Korean restaurant that I am still unsure of what we ate maybe galbi?...(not dog JD don't worry). It seems to be practice in Korea to have cabbage with everything so I am getting a healthy dose of that, but its 3 bucks wholesale for four sticks of asparagus and brussel sprouts haven't made the leap yet. So Friday night was fun, in the sense that it was a bunch of foreigners filling up an otherwise ordinary restaurant in some dong (neighborhood) in Daejeon. Good things to come out of the night was a hilarious realization that Canadians think that they have a special type of spices known as "savory" (really just a mix of oregano and parsley) that is unique to Canada. So Friday was a good time, but Saturday really was the bell of the ball.

Saturday I had to go into work so I could devise a plan to effectively teach these children important English/American concepts; primarily gang signs, and the merits of the Boston Red Sox over the evil New York Yankees. After drafting a flawless teachers manual for myself I met up with my neighbor Landon to go get pizza and check out the movie Watchmen. We went to a pizza shop that was called "Rice Pizza" with a picture of scarecrow how could this not be fantastic! Good thing it was a tasty pizza if cost more than 3 other meals combined. So it was off to the movies.
Important things to know about Korean movie theatres, they are all inside of large office buildings with limited signage and they have assigned seating. The good thing to note is that movies in Korea are absurdly cheap, I mean it was cheap to the point that I worried it was a bootleg copy or something, (7,000 won?!! aka $4.50 for a Saturday night showing). The movie it self was pretty good except that I was not expecting such gratuitous violence or nudity so I was a bit surprised. The movie got out at 12:30 and it appeared that the night for Landon and I was just starting.
We decided to head to Gungdong to see if we could find our friends, we did not but what we found was worth it in its own right. So we arrive in gungdong which is a pretty standard area for entertainment with neon lights up the sides of the buildings. The first thing I notice is a strong smell of urine, because apparently public urination is not frowned upon in the least bit but at least everything appears clean. We start roving the crowds and lo and behold we run into foreigners but we do not know them which, is surprising, because there are not many foreigners in this little town. So as we are walking up and down the streets we find a place called I <3 dogs cafe. We are immediately drawn to the site, because we have heard that they have cafe's where there are literally hundreds of dogs that just hang out with you as you eat. Alas it was closed but I shall return to the puppy play station one day soon. We then search some mre and decide to enter a bar called the crying nut because they are playing American music, what we see in there is also apparently commonplace, children, toddlers really are in the bar and just dancing. So toddlers are allowed in bars...not to be alarming but WHY WOULD YOU ALLOW A TODDLER IN A BAR AT 1:30 IN THE MORNING AND WHY WOULD YOU ALLOW THEM TO DANCE WITH STRANGERS WHILE YOU GET DRUNK IN THE CORNER!!!! ok rant over. We decide to leave this bar and head to a different part of town to a foreigner bar called Santa's (I might be able to understand why a child was there). Best part about getting to Santa's is we get lost in the cab and are dropped off literally 100 feet from where we entered the cab. But hey it only cost 3 dollars total so no complaints. We find Santa's and it appears to be the place where the expats all hang out, well at least so it doesn't feel like I am completely alone in this country. While we are hanging out there I am pulled aside by this Korean woman who is looking for a phone charger, not her phone charger mind you but if I have one that she could borrow. After I explain to her that it is unlikely that she will find a phone charger she begins to question me about my age. She doesn't believe me and insists that I am three. I attempt to dissuade her but she collapses into a fit of giggles while holding up three fingers at me and saying "Three three!!!". It is at this point that she drags me over to her friend and demands that I make her laugh because she is sad. I fail at that attempt, because I am still very confused as to what is going on. But luckily I am saved because I am pulled into a enthusiastic game of darts. It is while playing darts, and almost accidentally killing a patron who wanders into the game, that we meet up with some interesting characters some South Africans, an Oregonian and the one awful Canadian. The SA girls are nice and friendly while the American is also very excited to meet some fine fellows. Ms. Canada on the other had is either boring or just rude. Here is a rough transcript of what occurred.
Will:Oh hi I'm Will I don't think we have met yet.
Evil Girl: That's right we haven't been introduced.
End Scene.

After some time has passed I once again to be friendly to this girl when this interaction happens:
Will: So I hear you are from Canada, what part are you from?
EG: The part that is not in America.
Scene.

So I am going out on a limb and saying that she is either just not very bright or just lacks any sense of civility towards her fellow man. But one of the girls we met vouched for her so I am willing to give her a second chance. So we end up hanging out with these girls for the rest of the night and manage to stay up until sun rise an event not really intended by any party. But hey it was fun, and you can sleep when you're dead. So Daejeon weekends appear to be a continuation of the adventuring that I started off in DC. Let's hope the fun never ends.

Until next time past dwellers!

1 comment:

  1. Did you end up getting that book we looked at about Korea? I wonder if it says it's impolite to play with your food.

    Matt Ryan wants to go barhopping.

    If you want to continue making conversation with this Canadian (though I don't know why you would), you could tease her about bacon and about milk being sold in bags. Smart money is on her being from Alberta.

    Sounds like Korea is raising the bar for adventures - how easy is it to get around and how close do you live to fun and work?

    ReplyDelete