Friday, March 6, 2009

First Daejeon night and first impressions of Korea






Korea is a pretty snazzy place, with bright lights and signs everywhere, feels like something out of a movie. So I met up with my Director and she drives me to my new home. Picture are here...I really need to figure out how to format these photos. But that is for another time and another post. So any ways back to the first night, Maria, my director, bought me dinner and breakfast and showed me my apartment, this apartment I still am unsure of where it is but hey it has heated floors! She then proceeds to call my co-workers up so that I can meet them. As it happens they are out having dinner and would love to meet me, Maria once again offers me a lift, that is when I learn my first interesting thing about Korean culture. We are driving to the restaurant when we come up on a Red traffic light, Maria just drives through it while saying "sorry" I feel like she just missed it and it was only to allow non-existent pedestrians cross so I am not too miffed. Turns out that was just the beginning she proceeds to run through several other red lights with cars coming. Shortly after we arrive at dinner a lovely Korean place where you cook your own spring rolls. After that harrowing experience I feel the need to tell these new strangers who are my co-workers of the experience, turns out it wasn't my director who is dangerous but that apparently it is just the manner of driving in Korea.. Thankfully I am not in Seoul where the sidewalk is a lane.

2 comments:

  1. Is this your room? It looks like it is filled wiht someone else's stuff or have you already managed to make a mess of the place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, man, this is way bigger than I was expecting (t**t's w**t s*e s**d) - is the kitchen its own room, is it communal, or is it just hard to tell from the pictures? I need to try that "sorry" thing here - it would make my commute even shorter.

    ReplyDelete