Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A new study reports teachers more likely to drink than counterparts...

So I was reading this study, and by study I mean my thoughts, about how teaching kindergarten kids makes people want to either drink, scream, or collapse into a pile of tears. Now I fully understood that when I signed up for this job it would be frequently filled with frustrating moments as well as fruitful and fulfilling ones. (enough F words in that sentence?) But that still doesn't prepare one for experience. Normally children are bad enough and misbehave from time to time which is to be expected, but this is compounded by the fact that my kids are largely ignorant of simple English commands like stop or listen, so when I attempt to rein them in it largely ends up in blank stares and them continuing what they were doing anyways. I have found out that punishing them works a little bit, but I don't really want to do it any more. I have yet to find a suitable balance between reward and punishment. It also helps that I have fallen into a trap that I created for myself, by that I mean I have some favorite students. I know that it is one of the worst things a teacher can do, but in my defense I have not let it affect my teaching, thats probably saying more about my lack of teaching style than my ethical behavior but whatever. The other problem that I have been unable to solve as of yet is whether or not some of my students are stupid, or they just don't understand a single thing I am saying. As of right now I feel like I have several children who either cannot or will not pay attention in class, as well as some students who are just prone to misbehavior. But even with all of that I feel like as long as I don't have 3 terrible classes in a row things will be ok.

Today has been especially trying for me so far because I have had 3 terrible classes in a row putting me at Defcon 2 which is a few steps away from a full on screaming meltdown. It all started with one of my favorite students spending the first two hours crying, and add in my other children ignoring all of my requests leaving me a blubbering and blithering idiot filled with stammers and indignation. It probably doesn't help that I overslept this morning (after having a fantastic dream, I mean probably top ten) and feel like I am one or eight steps behind this morning. Even with me running late I should be more composed but I suppose everyone is allowed to have a bad day or a trial once in awhile. I guess I just need to pick myself up off ground dust myself off and charge back in. I mean its like the famously wise sage D-Wade said fall down 7 times get up 8.

Will out

1 comment:

  1. Missing one critical F word in that sentence. Did you teach the kids some of the Fundamentals of our language, yet?

    ReplyDelete