Saturday, March 14, 2009

First week down

So my first week has come and gone and I am still here, and I expect to be doing so for awhile longer. If I had to summarize my experiences of my first week is that it was one of self exploration and discovery. What I mean by that is that I have largely been figuring out what to do on my own with little to no academic supervision. So I wake up and I go to class, I teach the kids some new words like pencil and frog, and largely go about my day. Is this a good way to teach the kids english? I am not certain one way or the other, all I know is that when you don't give directions to the cook you can't be upset when you get an omelette when you asked for for egg salad. (so apparently my new thing is to make up sayings, I think the previous one could use some work but hey what do I know?)
So with each passing class I feel much more confident that I am actually capable of teaching these children my native tongue. My day is divided into morning (kindy, prounounced kin-dee) classes and the more advanced afternoon classes. Kindy classes are fun, if a bit exhausting I still have not figured out the reward/punishment system that is best suited for learning. Currently I am very strict, which is contrary to my initial expectations, I assumed I would be very lenient and let the kids run wild, but that is not the case. I have been having a difficult time discerning when a child is stupid, bad, or just has a type of learning disability. Most of the time I can tell, but there are certain situations where I have no idea what is going on with the child. I have found several ways to entertain the children, no readings of Dr. Suess yet but soon hopefully, currently my favorite is I dance for the kids, only clothed. It is kind of raising a trial child, only if I decided that I wanted to up the difficulty and do it alone. And in Korea.
So classes are fun, I am learning a lot about American and English culture that I had not known before, did you know that Sally is a name only for ugly girls? Thats what my student Angel (couldn't possibly be more misnamed) told me. Also in case you were curious everyone in Korea is always fine, and everything happens because. My afternoon classes are a riot in the sense that many of my kids do not realize how hilarious they are being, whether its what they say, or how they scream all the time, or how one little boy's mother is attempting to raise a Korean Liberace (pictures to follow). All in all it leads me to the belief that I am not a teacher at all more along the lines of a thesaurus with arms.
Speaking of teaching I have to run into the office again on a Saturday because the work of teacher is never over, I have more to say about a korean festival known as White day, and also about how I am largely looked at as mytholigical creature (no Koreans I am not here for your souls, well except you Sora...)

Until next time...hope the daylight savings time went off without a hitch.

3 comments:

  1. A solution to your discipline problem might be that all-American classic: the color chart. This also gives you the option of having several different punishments of increasing severity.

    Will Korean kids respect colors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the color chart? Do you mean the amber watches? I thought those were when a child is kidnapped...and I don't want to bring the little buggers home with me. Or was it the color chart the told us how likely the forest would spontaneously combust?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the DHS threat level approach AND the kidnapping approach. You could probably scare some good behavior into those kids by combining the two (think: red = high likelihood of abduction).

    I just read an awesome thing about Korean graves - they are scattered according to geomancy and marked using mounds instead of headstones.

    It seems like your kids - even your anklebiters - are already able to speak a significant amount of English. Is this true or are you somehow using Korean to talk to them? On that note, how is your Korean going?

    ReplyDelete