Monday, March 23, 2009

Daejeon land of decoys

Lovely evening here in Daejeon, a brisk cold evening is just what the Doctor ordered for a head that is swimming with schools of uncertainties and postulations. It is a little past midnight right now and I am listening to the Arcade Fire's "Rebellion (Lies)" thanks to a friends suggestion. If you haven't had the pleasure of listening I would recommend it at your earliest convenience. So the reason I bring up the weather is that I have been largely remiss in telling you brave readers much at all about my homestead, and it is high time I atone for that mistake. Daejeon is a lovely city, if not quite like anything I have experienced before in my life. I live in the Northwest part of the city right at the outskirts of what can be considered Daejeon, luckily for me the subway still comes this far (think Friendship Heights).

Now I have some interesting pictures from the roof of my apartment, I know rooftop access is the dream...all I had to do was move to Korea, hmm seems like I am noticing a trend...anywho somethings to notice about Daejeon. I barely know where I live, and that is not because I am forgetful or stupid, but rather because anything and I mean anything at all that you would think of to use as a landmark like a fluorescent orange cross is not unique, not even scarce. There are four such crosses within 500 ft of my apartment.

This is the southeasterly view from my roof,
off in the distance on the right is Daejeon proper.


Hey look the star is out!


Now I bet youre saying why doesn't he just head
to the area of town with the four orange crosses?
Well that would make sense except that just on my
way to work I walk by about 10 or so churches and
I don't even live near the religious section of town.

If landmarks don't work why not just use the street signs? Well even if I spoke or read Korean (give me another two weeks) it wouldnt help me a whole lot simply because there are no street signs. All there are signs that tell you of points of interest like the middle school or the hospital pfft, like those are places of interest. Well I luckily have not gotten lost yet, but I will admit my explorers bug has been tempered a bit by this unease of knowing how to get back home, but hey I don't think Magellan knew where he was either.

I would say more but it has taken me an hour to write this much, I get distracted and now I am listening to the Doves "Cedar Room" and I should go to bed. I am going to attempt to be more structured in my posting on this blog and I also hope that those that read this will comment freely on it, I've been told I have a bit of Cruise director in me and I love group participation. I hope that all is going well back in the West, miss you all heaps.

Until next time past dwellers.

Next issue: Korean girls and their two syllable pronunciation of the word cute, and its not the two syllables you're thinking. Plus the crazy family I made friends with...

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Arcade Fire is awesome. Check out The Apples in Stereo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cool! Maybe the lack of street signs explains how your cab driver got lost during your trip to Santa's.

    ReplyDelete