Friday, July 10, 2009

America Day in Korea

So this past weekend it was the Fourth of July, always a great holiday in my opinion. This was my first time spending my nation's birthday overseas and I luckily had the good fortune to create a thoroughly American experience. Landon, John, and I had been aching to have a soiree of some sorts up on our magnificent rooftop and with our first attempts being rained out we opted to try for a 4Th of July spectacular. Now it wouldn't be the 4Th without a ton of food and people so we tried our damnedest to recreate that American feel and, by golly complete with Canadian and Korean friends I think we pulled off quite the event.

Now the whole thing started with Landon, John, and I heading down to the local farmers market (where you can buy a giant bag of corn for 5 bucks!) to pick up the food. First stop was the butchers. Now to be fair I don't understand Korean but I am betting there is no reason to be speaking into a loudspeaker if the only word you will say is samgyupsal. Literally, the 10 minutes we were in the shop we must've heard the dude hawking samygyupsal 200 times. "And we have samygyupsal, or red samygyupsal blue samygyupsal, Chinese samygyupsal, and samgyupsal, and bulgogi and samygyupsal. Or if you don't like samygyupsal there is always samygyupsal, or even samygyupsal..." On and on this man went, it was pretty amazing. Any who, we decided to buy a whole slab of meat which the counter man was really confused by, though we eventually got what we wer asking for. So with supplies in hand we head into town to pick up some fireworks, where are they sold the stationary store of course!

The three of us headed back to the apartment building to set up for the BBQ, I had decided to make lemony potato salad and some family styled cucumber salad, whilst Landon made a tremendous pasta salad. Then at the spur of the moment we whipped up some deviled eggs. All in all we had quite the feast with 6 kilos of steak, 2 of sausage, a bunch of salads, and some soda and corn.


A shot of the festivities, yea we dragged Landon's couch to the roof
My coworker Hannah and I, you'll notice
one of the 5 churches in the background

John's attempt at filling a Pineapple
with soju, we'll say it had mixed results

I really love the mountains in the background.

My co-worker Chelsea and her brother.She is hilarious and
has the misfortune of having her desk next to mine.
She probably doesn't deserve all the pranks I pull on her alas...


Lindsay and Hannah, (Canadian and Korean, oh well on the 4Th everyone is American! WAIT they're not!?) Plus John giving the ol' Michigan Pirate stink-eye

Now I have managed to take some video of the events that transpired and I think they give an accurate portrayal of the fun that was had. If they don't well at least the shots look pretty.


In this video I show the roof off and sound like an idiot good times!
Pay close attention to the end I think it's great.


And if course it wouldn't be the 4Th without fireworks!

I think we pissed off the neighbors even though it was only 10. Also we probably scared a cat or two. While the cops did apparently come looking for us they never found us. Well I can say with good feeling that the 4Th was a good time. I ended up celebrating a little too hard, (right Jupitz?) but had a fantastic time up until the Norebong incident. That though is a story for another day.

Until next time pasties!
Will out



1 comment:

  1. ahhh you finally went to a nore-bang!? i must hear this story immediately.

    ReplyDelete