Sunday, June 21, 2009

In a lot of ways Korea is like prison...

Now let me clarify, its not "pound me in the ass prison" but still a cross between some kind of detention center and good ol' Shawshank. How is Korea like prison you ask? Well here's a few similarities.

Korea like prison does not have grass. Korea has many areas that would be fantastically beautiful if they had lad down some sod or sprinkled some seeds. Now I have been told that the reason no school in this land has grass, and that parks are filled with sandlots is because of the staggeringly high costs of greens keeping. Now it's fine that there are 9 bakeries on the way to my job or that the 12 cell phone stores on my block each have 7 employees, but paying a guy to water a dirt field is indulgent.

Another way Korea is like a prison, is the high amount of times that are spent in solitary confinement. With the weather taking a turn for the ugly and my lack of understanding the lingo, I spend a fair amount of time indoors reading and whatnot. It's not exactly the same and I don't have to worry about gang violence, but I will say my kindy kids are kinda like a gang.

Finally just like Andy Dufrense I have found a hobby to keep me motivated. He built a library, and I am turning my roof access into a cool rooftop patio bbq station. Right now its got some sweet chairs a table for children even a rock garden. Its looking to be the hot spot in Jijok-dong.

Until next time guys, I've gotta work on my patio.

Will out

No comments:

Post a Comment