Thursday, August 13, 2009

Well I haven't been a kindergartner for 18 years!

Hey I know I need to talk about my trip to Japan and all and I'm a crummy blogger and what not and for these I apologize. Well not really I mean it's my blog and I'll do with it as I please. I mean its not like I get much feedback about whats going on in the past anyways so I might as well keep going on as I have been. Any who rant aside...I have been getting into arguments with my Ko-teacher for my Kindy classes (5 and 6 year olds). The arguments we have been getting into all revolve around what I have decided is fair for them to learn for their daily expressions. I have been constantly told that my expressions for the children are too difficult or just unnecessary, whether it be Salutations! ( I mean its in Charlotte's Web!) or a little more obscure when I go all British and say "I'm a bit peckish". While I understand that these are young children and all I am tired of them being English speaking robots that are always fine because they don't know any other phrases. These are my charges too and I feel very strongly that they should learn phrases that give them a more robust vocabulary of the language they already understand. If my kids want to express that they feel moody or that they think life is spectacular then I want to be there to help them be who they are supposed to be. All I am saying is that if I only teach them awkward and "standard" phrases then all they will grow up to be is awkward and standard. Which is something that I cannot abide and will do anything to stop. So I assume that my arguments with my Ko-teachers will continue as I will keep the children learning things that let them express themselves more as individuals and less as audible robots. I mean it has also been forever since I was a child (in age not personality people) and I have grown accustomed to a certain level of verbosity in those I converse with, so naturally I will attempt to engender the same in those I have been given the grave responsibility of educating.

And that is really the end of my rant.

Will out

1 comment: