Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sunday Funday

So Saturday night and Sunday were a hoot! A hoot I tell you. Saturday was rounded out with a trip to South Daejeon to visit this coffee house that was displaying local art. Now I'm no art critic but I know what I like...and I will say I didn't like it too much. There was one interesting charcoal etching of Korean playing Mob boss, but other than that nah. What was exciting about it was the fact that of all the foreigners were at this giant table with a Pilgrims Pooh. In addition to the table decorations, the Canadians, (2 of every 3 foreigners I meet are Canadians) are in love with the card game of Skip-Bo, so in addition to art, wine, and pretzels we had a rousing game of Skip-bo. What can I say other than Korea is an interesting place with a strange idea of what a night out is.

Sunday was an absolutely beautiful day, I had originally planned on going hiking through the northern hills but opted instead to go on a bike ride to Chungnam University and its Cherry Blossom Festival. At Chungnam there was a sculpture garden with an odd collection of sculptures, my three favorites were these.




Yes this is sculpture of the world controlled
by George W. Bush


Upon closer examination we see that those are WMDS...

Here we have a tricked out cyclist

And possibly my favorite, little girl approaching Metal Dinosaur

What this all teaches us is that Art is interesting no matter where you are. From the sculpture garden I meandered through the mountain streets soaking up the Cherry Blossoms.







While it isn't the same as seeing them on the tidal basin with JeffMe in the background it is stunning in its own distinct way. So I was walking through the campus just looking around I stumbled upon this gem.


This "Information" sign. The only word in English is information...why bother telling me at all Korea? It also appears that I walked into Dr. Seuess's own personal garden.



But that is all I have time for today kiddos...until next time

Will "Cherry blossom connoisseur" out

No comments:

Post a Comment