Saturday, April 25, 2009

It's raining in Daejeon

So it has been raining in Daejeon the past few days which has been a nice change from the summery weather we had been having. This week has been more of the same at work with me still attempting to figure out how to connect with these children. I've been trying to remember what my experience as a kindergartner was and I can't remember being yelled at, or even my teacher being upset. What I do remember is that we played restaurant and I made a plate with lobster on it and that one day a little girl named Ann took off her shirt because she was hot. Perhaps I wasn't yelled at as a child but what is more likely is I don't remember any of it. It has been a good two months with my little kids and I have really grown fond of them, except little johnny, I don't like him. I have been teaching the kids about words like love and "you look good" and I am only now understanding the scope of my interaction with them. I am one of the most important people in these little ones lives, and in their understanding of the term, they love me. I find it profound that these children can be so thoughtful and bizarre at the same time, for instance I was singing the hug song and my kids ran up and hug attacked me, true to Mr. Silversteins sage words of wisdom. Now they still wont listen to me about not speaking Korean, but I am trying to be more lenient with them, for after all they are only kids, and it is their second language. Except for Johnny, he'll receive no quarter from me.

Until later,
Will "not really completing statements" Dunkel

No comments:

Post a Comment