Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Children's Day musings

So yesterday was Children's day in Korea. A whole day dedicated to kids having fun and doing whatever they want. This is a really funny thing to witness because I remember growing up and asking when Children's day was, and being told it happened everyday of the year. At the time I didn't agree or really understand, and nowadays I will still not agree even if I do understand. I always thought kids got a tough rap, until I came to Korea and understand that we give them hard time for a reason. For instance we try to instill in them that bad words or curses are not to be used, as an adult we understand that cursing has a time and a place. My kids don't understand why I don't want them to curse, they have the mouths of little sailors, and I swear I didn't know these words when I was their age. Then again who knows what age they are over here surely I don't. Anyways now that I am off topic I just wanted to say that this lovely land that I am in continues to amaze me in the daily goings.

This week has been great because one of my favorite classes is back in session, these kids are middle schoolers and they just crack me up. They re really some of the funniest kids I have ever met, and every class is really special. We were discussing beauty in class, and they had the idea to use beauty as an insult, IE. "Ray is the most beautiful person in the world", and what makes a person beautiful? "Money and their face." Good to know shallowness reigns supreme here in D-town.

Well I don't know what I was intending to do with this post but I should end it before I get more confused. I am going to be putting up pictures of my Seoul adventure tonight or tomorrow if I can. Other than that have a great day, enjoy the Caps and the Bruins for me. Until later pasties.

Will out

1 comment: