Saturday, October 31, 2009

From Uji to Osaka

A trip to Kyoto isn't a trip if you don't find your way down to Nara, the Japan. If you can recall (as it was months ago) I had been up for all night and I was trudging along on very little sleep. I had another ambitious day planned before me. I was to make a stop in Uji to go and see the Byodo-in the Phoenix Hall, one of the more beautiful temples in Japan. From there I was to head to a different train station and continue onto Nara and the collections of temples and shrines, not to mention an ethereal forest. It was a great idea for someone with a full amount of energy, I was decidedly lacking and was riding purely on my Japanophile adrenalin. So without further ado, here are some of the more beautiful spots in Japan.

A bridge in Uji that apparently has significant historical importance...

...and here is the actual bridge of historical significance, I told you I was tired.

The Byodo-in, one of the few remaining Pure Land Buddhism temples in Japan.

Over 900 years old and so beloved it is on the 10 yen piece (dime) of Japan.

Wouldn't be a temple without gardens.

Another image illustrating my exhaustion. A train stop in nowhere Japan. I swear this had meaning when I took it. Unfortunately I cannot for the life of me remember what...


Finally I arrived in Nara after a long train ride (I missed the first train). After putting my belongings in a locker, (nice to be in a country not terrified of strangers) I trudged up the hill and began to explore Nara proper. There were two main temples, Kofuku-ji (pictured here) and Todai-ji, the world's largest wooden building. All across the land were these indigenous deer known as Sika deer that were protected and cultivated by the monks throughout the ages, because they were viewed as the messengers of the gods. They managed to put me in stellar spirits as it is on rare occasions you get to pet live divine messenger deer.

My adoration of pagoda's continues. Kofuku-ji has the second tallest pagoda in Japan. It is only inches shorter than To-ji's pagoda.

Deer eats lunch of an unsuspecting tourist.

This just cracks me up.

The main gate to Todai-ji housing two of the master Sculptor Unkei's masterpieces.

26 feet tall and prone to overt violence Agyo is here to protect the Buddha.

Across the way from the malevolent Agyo is his friend Ungyo, He symbolizes latent strength.

Here is the world's largest wooden building. Originally built in 751 it burnt down twice over the years. After the second maelstrom, the builders decided to make it 30% smaller than the original. They did that and it still is overwhelming. Possibly the most colossal structure I have ever witnessed. Maybe since it is made of traditional pieces and not iron and steel, who knows.

Requisite posing at the Daibutsu hall.

Inside the world's largest wooden building is the world's largest Buddha. Who'd have thought...


The left is the original, the right is the present building.

It was after seeing the massive sights of Todai-ji that I seriously thought about calling it quits and heading to Osaka for some much needed sleep. I was beat, and possibly templed out which is astonishing considering my resolve and interest in that particular area. I decided after resting at one of the gardens that I should persevere and fully explore Nara and the wondrous forest that surrounded the temples. I am glad I did, for it may have been the most beautiful place of all.

A field of a Sika deer.


A Shinto Shrine nestled in the woods and the mountains, the silence was stunning. Allowed for contemplation previously unsought of for myself. It was here that I began to realize that I might not be returning stateside for a long, long, time.

A point and click masterpiece?

One washes the hands and then approaches the shrine.

I am in love with Torii as well.

After exploring the forest for a few hours and thinking my thunks, I ran into this Irish man, who really managed to put a lot of life into perspective for me. His Japanese was stellar and reminded me how travelling alone offers certain experiences that do not exist to groups. We explored the rest of Nara until we ran out of sunlight, and it was only right before we parted ways that we exchanged pleasantries. It is an odd thing to think about the life of friendships. I used to believe that relationships with people should be cultivated into life-long friendships in which every detail is eventually shared and experienced as a collective thought. Now I realize that is a backwards and incorrect way to look at friendships and relationships in general. Many friendships will have a short life-span, that is not to say that they are worthless but that they serve their own unique purpose. I am certain that I will never meet him again, I have since forgotten his name (Chris?) but I believe that our kinship was genuine. Maybe that is all that is required in some relationships? Who knows? Surely, not I. More on this later perhaps.

The nameless Irishman.

After sunset I took the train from Nara to Osaka. I was fully exhausted by this point and set out with one goal in mind. Find my futuristic capsule hotel amid a city of 5 million. After a few hours I did finally find it. I am slightly ashamed to admit that I just crashed and went to bed and missed out on all of the famed Osaka night-life. I may not have missed that much as the next night was to be the end of the honeymoon, and the shocking return to reality. All things end right?

Well with that I end the 3rd of four installments of my initial trip to Japan. To rate my feelings at this moment in time would be really in the Stratosphere. I really felt like I had come home, and I hope that the feeling comes back again sometime soon. Until next time past dwellers....

Will "So far in the future it takes him months to recount his adventures" Dunkel out


No comments:

Post a Comment